Tuesday, March 15, 2011

More Thoughts from Samaria

I went to pick up Sammy on Sunday and spent a few minutes talking with the gannenet and the helper (sayaat). We were talking about the Fogel family and how they were so involved in the community when they lived in Ariel. I was trying to figure out if any of their kids were in Gan with Jonah. The sayaat thought he may have been with Jonah at some point. I'm not sure.

While we were talking, some other Netzarim parents came to pick up their kids. And they looked so sad and heartbroken. Most likely, they knew the Fogels. I looked at the kids still sitting in the circle, at their beautiful, innocent faces. Thinking it was their friends that this happened to, it could have been them, it could have been their family. Such beautiful, innocent children, like the children murdered in their beds.
And I almost broke down. My eyes filled up with tears and I said, "I can't. I'm sorry, I just can't" and I had to walk out of there. I had tears streaming down my face as we left the Gan. And at the same time, I didn't want Sammy to know anything was wrong. I wanted to sit down on the curb and just cry and cry. Cry for the innocent lives that were taken. For the little children who will never have another birthday. And for the beautiful orphans who will never have another birthday without missing their parents.
And I was so thankful for my beautiful child, safe and by my side. Chattering away as we walked home. With his Indian face paint and headdress. May he never know from such pain. May he never know anyone killed in a terrorist attack.

The prime minister went to visit the family while they were sitting shiva. It can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LSDUdiu2A

The prime minister's answer was to build. He told the orphans, "They kill and we build." The little boy said "What will happen if you do something? Will America do something to you?"
This poor little boy whose parents and siblings were murdered while he slept. It just as easily could have been him. And the prime minister tells him, we will build houses in response.

I am sorry. I think that is a crap answer. Look at all the outcry from the world when we do build houses. Everyone is up in arms then. Where is that same outcry, where are those voices when a family is slaughtered?
There are reports that the 3 month old baby was decapitated....I can't begin to fathom.

And our response is to build houses? I know that we are peaceful people and that all we want to do is live our lives. But if America or whoever we are afraid of is going to yell in response to us building houses, let them yell in response to something real. We need to take care of ourselves and our people. And if America won't stand up for us when we are being murdered, then we need to stand up for ourselves.

But I don't have an answer. I want those murderers caught and punished. But in reality, there is no punishment that fits the crime.

Someone suggested this: "I think the world should make the bad guys give back Gilad Shalit as a tikkun for the Fogels. It wont help bring them back but we'd all feel a little better."

I agree. We can't bring them back. And while we will feel a little bit better once they are caught, there is no punishment that can be done to the murderers that will make us feel better about what happened. So we need to do something else.
While one family has been shattered and nothing can make that better or take that pain away, at least another family can be reunited.

Today, Gilad Shalit has been in captivity for 5 years. Bring him home. Do whatever it takes to bring him home and reunite him with has parents.

Bring some light unto the darkness that we are all feeling. Bring some happiness into the sadness.

Please G-d, may the killers be found today and brought to justice. May the Fogel children and grandparents and family and friends be comforted ... somehow. May light shine onto them and peace be brought to their hearts. May the horrific memories be wiped clean.

May we all celebrate Purim with the news that Gilad Shalit has been returned to us.

And may the rest of the world see the reality of our lives in Israel and support us in protecting our families. And if they don't want to support us, may they at least shut their freakin mouths because they don't have a clue.

Sigh.....

No comments: